Brown bins are used for depositing kitchen and green garden waste:
- all types of vegetable and fruit waste;
- coffee dregs and filter bags;
- spoiled food;
- cooked food remains and rotten fruit;
- tissues, paper towels and paper bags;
- cut greenery, grass and leaves;
- old spent potting soil, flowers and weeds;
- litter of small plant-eating animals; and
- wood ashes.
It is best to collect biowaste in paper, biodegradable polyethylene or biodegradable corn (or other plant) starch bags. Since these are 100% degradable under the effects of heat and light, biowaste can be deposited of in the brown bin together with such a bag. Leaves, weeds and other garden waste can be deposited in the brown bin without using bags.
Biowaste is treated in plants and facilities of RCERO Ljubljana, where it can be processed over 21,000 tonnes of biowaste annually. Using state-of-the-art technology, treatment produces prime quality compost called Rastko, which can be used to fertilize gardens and fields.